market-farming - Re: Organic cost pre and post NOP

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic cost pre and post NOP
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:43:36 -0700

It's probably the record-keeping. I'm certified by the County of Marin, in northern CA. A group of us asked the county Ag Commisioner to set up a 3rd party certification program, acceptable to the Feds. They did. It's much less expensive, especially for small growers. The Ag Commisioner also inspects to ensure that all farmer's market vendors are conforming to the law. So we already know the people, and have been working with them all along.

See if your state has a law requiring Ag Commisioners to implement a program, if asked to do so.

Good luck, Peter