market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:38:14 -0500

RDH wrote:
> It does seem that the most obvious points get missed on this list
> occasionally. The Homestead Foods project is only to connect
> consumers and
> growers with an easily identified logo, not to replace or
> redefine the term
> organic. The only certification is that they are a family owned farm.

But that is self evident when you drive by and see the signs.

For those who want to get connected via the internet our best connection for
our farm is through Jo Robinsons's eatwild.com site. I am listed for free
because we got in early, and may be in the latest book for all I know as she
wrote me and asked if I wanted to be included but that was a few years ago
and we were not ready yet and I suggested she wait for the next edition.
Now they do charge $5 to get listed or make a change to a listing.

Surely you are familiar with Local Harvest? We are listed on there and so
far there is no charge for that but I guess they plan to charge later on if
they can make it work. I doubt that we would pay unless we actually knew
customers were coming from that source. So far I do not believe that we have
had any customers from that site.

And our listing on hard copy and 24/7 internet via with Wisconsin State Farm
Bureau is included in our membership at no additional charge. I don't think
we have had customers from that either, but it is targeted to other farmers.

It is possible that your company could over time become yet another direct
market site, but there is a lot of competition. And you would have to have a
spectacular web site that would do something a lot better than the
competition.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm