market-farming - fast food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: wakely11 AT swbell.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: fast food
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 18:53:06 -0700

Thought you might find this interesting. We are foster parents and have
been for 9 years. None of the children that have lived with us like
bologna--guess they ate a little too much of it in their bio-homes but
from time to time I can't resist a bologna sandwich. Every last one has
complained about the fact that we don't eat out. They would rather have
a Big Mac (which is what their bio-parents threw on the table since they
were usually too stoned to cook) or food from a high profile chain
restaurant (because they think that is so elegant). I don't know how
many times one of my foster children has looked at fresh green beans and
asked what they were. They also can't understand why I want to cook
when it's so easy to go out. My only excuse is that I love the food my
mother and grandmother cooked and believe that it feeds the soul as well
as the body. Good, simple home-cooked food goes hand in hand, to me,
with nurturing. But I see this in kids who are being raised by their own
parents in functional homes. When did it become okay to feed our
children fast food and take them to an indoor playground at the mall?

Nancy Wakely
Grand Canadian Farm