market-farming - Re: Fast Food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fast Food
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 14:48:17 +0000

Del Williams wrote:

>How do we motivate a cultural shift in valuing food? Well, being market
>gardeners or running CSA's are a move in the right direction.

If market farmers really want to promote a cultural shift in
the valuing of natural, wholesome foods by the population
at large, and especially in the eyes, hearts and minds of
young people, they must do a number of things, including:

Create a cooperative marketing organization and fund
it to promote the value of "real food" on television;

Create a "real food" cooking show that demonstrates
how to make tasty, wholesome meals without investing
a great deal of time or money in the preparation, aside
from the money necessary to buy top quality ingredients.
The dishes prepared should be simple, simple, SIMPLE.
(This show would be a counter Martha show which is
about appearances, not quality.) The marketing co-op
would be this show's primary sponsor in the beginning;

Sponsor "off season" cooking classes in local high
schools that give out free samples of the food created,
together with recipes and preparation instructions for
those items;

Create and promote web sites for each of the above
so that the web generation has easy access to the
information you offer when they want it.

Don't let any of the above be run by governmental
entities, even if they volunteer to fund them, for the
simple reason that processed food, restaurant and
most existing agricultural lobbies would stifle additional
funding when your efforts started paying off.

BTW, it's never too soon to start something like the
above. If the fluid milk producers had been advertising
all along, they would dominate the beverage sector
today. Instead, soft drinks do, to everyone's detriment.

Sorry for the rant.

Jay