market-farming - Re: Fast Food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fast Food
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 08:10:51 -0500

How do we motivate a cultural shift in valuing food? Well, being market
gardeners or running CSA's are a move in the right direction.

This sounds like a digression but I breastfed my daughter for two years. I
never could figure out why anyone would want to bother with the
'convenience' of formula and bottles and sterilizing nipples. Geeze. I
never had to get up in the middle of the night and warm a bottle. I just
latched her on and went back to sleep.

My point here is that for me breastfeeding was convenient. It was easier
than the packaged formula. In the USA we are constantly barraged by the
message of convenience. Fast food. Boxed food. Even bathroom cleaning
supplies. They all make life so 'easy'. I just couldn't see that formula
was easy or convenient.

There is so much food out there that we do not value it. People in this
country eat all the time. It's expected and there's plenty of it. So in
evaluating the problem of how we value what we eat, we are fighting a very
strong cultural value for ease and convenience and probably gluttony as
well. This is not a skinny nation in case you haven't noticed all the
morbidly obese people at the feeding trough buffet restaurants.

Farmer in the Del
Clifton, IL