market-farming - Re: Fast Food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fast Food
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 09:10:53 -0500

Regards to the list:

Del, I've wondered if some people are obese because they keep eating and eating, trying to get the nutrients that they need from food that has no nutrients.

On the other hand, I am obese because I think I'm going to starve if I don't eat at night. I am slowly overcoming that. It started when I stopped smoking.

I breastfed all three of my children and I agree, it was 'way more convenient than doing bottles and formula. It wasn't encouraged back then and it seemed to me like the people in the hospital did everything they could to make it fail - fed the babies formula, then bring them to me when they were asleep. Finally with the last baby, I put my foot down and threatened to sue them if they fed her formula. And, well, it's a long story, but I prevailed finally. Do you suppose the companies that make the formulas somehow support the medical schools and manage to influence the doctors to discourage breast feeding? Just like the chemical companies support the land grant universities and influence the ag students to use chemicals and not bother to figure out how to grow crops sustainably.
I suppose the fast good chains are influencing us on some level to not eat fresh foods. Just give an eight year old kid a choice between McDonald's or a green salad.

We're screwed.

Marie in Missouri