market-farming - Re: fast food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: wakely11 AT swbell.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fast food
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 18:22:12 -0700

> "I suspect the habit germinated in the dead of winter
> when the mall playgrounds were not covered with
> snow..."
> Jay Gee

Your response brought a smile to my face as I recalled my daughter's
playground experience in parochial school. Sister Sylvia, the
headmistress, felt that the worse the weather, the better the play
experience. I swear she bundled up our 5 year olds and sent them out in
sleet storms at 20 below zero. *I* suspect that the young parents of the
toddlers at see in the mall playground were raised in front of
television sets and 2 hours at the mall is the ultimate sacrifice.

For anyone who's interested, our family loves Mediterranean food--easy
to make and pretty darn healthy. I also buy 2-3 heads of mixed lettuce
every week, tear it up, wash it and then put it in a clean
pillowcase--at that point I head for the back porch and sling that
pillowcase around until no more water water comes out of it. Then you
can pack it in a big baggie, smash all the air out (air is what makes it
turn gross) and we can make salads all week long without having to make
one at each meal. A salad spinner does the same thing but I'm convinced
slinging that pillowcase around tones my upper arms! I need all the
toning I can get for someone who remembers Little Lulu!

As to introducing healthy eating into schools, seems like I saw an
article recently in which the children in low-income area schools, as a
part of their learning experience, grew their own food for the school's
lunches and helped prepare it. May have seen it in Growing for Market
but it seemed like a great idea. For those whose children are in home
ec classes, wonder if you could talk to teachers about cooking something
other than sticky buns and appetizers?