market-farming - Re: Small farm poultry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Small farm poultry
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:40:23 -0600

Shelley Pasco wrote:

> USDA plants are a different story. I wouldn't want any of
> my animals in a USDA processing plant anyway.

In this state, you must either sell direct off the farm (customer must
come to your farm to pick up the chicken(s) that you have slaughtered
and processed) or the meat must come from a USDA approved facility.

We are not allowed to bypass the USDA and still sell to consumers except
for a limited number of self-processed birds off the farm. In VA I
think the "limit" is 2000, it is less here but I don't know how many.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant