market-farming - Re: Small farm poultry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Small farm poultry
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:57:14 -0600

CAVM AT aol.com wrote:

> Are there any thoughts on the viability of independent producers?

There is a pastured poultry list on http://www.onelist.com

But they are mostly coming from the point of view of being strictly
chicken producers rather than say as one part of a diversified small
farm. So the conversation tends to be pretty much from the perspective
of middlin' large size pastured poultry operations.

Joel Salatin has a book out called "Pasteured Poultry Profits: Net
$25,000 in 6 months on 20 acres". The book is good, with loads of
applicable advice even if you don't want an operation anywhere near that
big. There is also an updated version of Andy Lee's "Chicken Tractor"
out now. I haven't seen the updated version, the original version was
pretty good, but if I could only buy one I'd buy Salatin's book.

Lots of people make fair to middlin' amounts of money with PP birds.
It's not a big money maker, though - one guy reports profits of around
$3/bird with 1300 birds, another around $5/bird with 200 birds. It's
tough to gauge how accurate these profits are due to record keeping
differences (for instance I think the guy who reported the $3/bird
profit included a salary for himself in his expenses under handling and
packing). Also your local market conditions will vary.

I don't know of an alternative list for diversified farming or for small
time production as a part of a diversified operation. I'd like to,
though, so if anyone knows of a list with that take on small farm
management and operation please let us know.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant