market-farming - Re: Small farm poultry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: CAVM AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Small farm poultry
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:00:50 EST

Holly,'

My thinking is that diversification on a small farm can make a year around
profitable opportunity for the "family farm" as an alternative to factory
farming (although I don't like that term).

I know that the general focus of this newsgroup is not on animal production
but if it fits into a general farming atmosphere, it may have a place. But
animal production is limited by the processing requirements. Carrots and cut
flowers don't have the USDA demands on their processing that dressed rabbits
or ducks do.

It seems to me that if a few independent producers could interest a processor
in taking their birds or rabbits or even fish, they could better participate
in the marketing instead of only selling to the live market.

I know when I raised sheep and fish I wished for a local processor so that I
could sell directly to the consumer and have more control over my revenue.

Cornelius A. Van Milligen