market-farming - Re: Small farm poultry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Small farm poultry
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:30:15 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 7:45 PM

> All I can tell you is what the USDA told me. I don't have the money,
> the time, or the interest in testing them.

#####From what I've discerned talking to many folks at each individual
agency is that no two people come up with the exact same definition of
what's what. At a conference last year I sat on a panel along with other
meat producers, a county meat inspector, a USDA inspector, and a state ag
inspector. Even there no one could get anything straight. They couldn't
even tell us what we needed to do to become USDA approved!

I know I have the state on my side, but I'm a small producer and quiet. I
don't make waves. I worked along with our county's health inspectors (it's
the strictest in the state, probably the world!) inspecting food issues at a
farmer's market I managed and I know where they are coming from. So I have
the laws and the codes in writing for the USDA, the county, and the state.
I'm okay, but if I were to talk to a person.......? I could get a zillion
interpretations.>
Quite possibly it's a totally different situation in Missouri. Your dept.
of ag. may not be as supportive as they are here in Washington.
So how do you process your birds?
Michaele
Growing Things
Carnation WA
> --
> Holly ;-D
> Contrary Peasant
> sojournr AT missouri.org
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: mjb AT premier1.net
$subst('Email.Unsub')