market-farming - Re: Small farm poultry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Small farm poultry
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:55:51 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 9:36 AM

This of course, is determined by which state you live in, how stringent your
dept. of ag is, as well as county health codes. Laws, codes differ state to
state and county to county. Check out your own state and county legalities,
some are very obliging, others are not. Muck through all of that, depending
upon your market, you'll find sometimes USDA doesn't matter.
Michaele
Growing Things
Carnation WA

> Nope, no go. We can still get away with that with beef, pork, and lamb,
> to a certain extent, by selling the live animal to the buyer for one
> dollar and then charging the actual expenses of raising and butchering
> the animal at a small local slaughterhouse that is approved for direct
> to consumer private slaughtering under the heading of "handling fees".
> This is still only quasi-legal; the USDA COULD shut this down at any
> time as well. The buyer must pick up the meat direct from the slaughter
> house in this case. These slaughter houses are not licensed for resale
> - e.g., you cannot have them cut and package and then resell the
> packages, nor could you resell to a restaraunt. The consumer
> him/herself must pick up the meat.
>
> If there was a local slaughter house willing to do poultry, which there
> isn't around here, we could probably treat poultry like large livestock,
> but there isn't, so we can't.
>
> If the consumer "owns" the bird prior to sale, then the consumer is
> supposed to do the slaughtering. So YOU could get in trouble for
> unlicensed meat processing if you tried to make an end run around the
> on-farm limits by "selling" the live bird to the consumer and then
> slaughtering it for them. Same goes for any livestock, that's why you
> have to put them through a small local slaughterhouse to stay on the
> razor's edge of legal.
>
> --
> Holly ;-D
> Contrary Peasant
> sojournr AT missouri.org
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: mjb AT premier1.net
$subst('Email.Unsub')