livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] certified organic was: growing own food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkin@xanadoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] certified organic was: growing own food
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:08:42 -0600

yarrow@sfo.com wrote:
AFAIK, certified organically grown food is not allowed to have any GMOs. I assume GMOs have crept into just about everything else. (

That's true...except they are allowed a percentage of residuals and stuff just like you're allowed to have a percentage of foreign matter in nearly anything. So, yeah, it has less GMO stuff in it...but there really isn't any guarantee there isn't a little residue. So, chocolate with GMO soy lecithin can be certified organic because the soy lecithin is less than the percentage to exclude it from Organic Certification. Fun eh? :~(

Also, then you have to find a place that HAS something that is certified organic. That may be very easy where you live...or very hard. It's very hit and miss here. I live in GMO central. They don't talk about GMO, but even health food stores have only a small selection. Sometime the local "market place" grocery store has a better selection of Certified organic stuff just because their buyer, who is based elsewhere, decided the chain should carry a particular brand and that brand happens to be organic certified.

Morgan