livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - nutrition

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - nutrition
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:34:48 -0500

At 01:08 PM 1/28/2008, you wrote:

Some spices and condiments, tea and coffee and
others items aren't ever going to be produced in our own area. No doubt
their prices are headed up. But they're used in very small quantities and
lose little in storage and shipping.

For anyone who wants to play around with growing tea, it is possible across most of the US. In colder climates, you'll need to take the plants in during the winter, but the tropical states should do fine. Anywhere you can grow citrus, you should be able to grow tea (it's a camellia). I grew it in Florida without taking it in during the winter, and in Virginia Beach (took it in briefly during cold snaps). I don't have any now, but I'm thinking about starting another couple of pots. Pinetree Seeds has both seeds and plants, I believe.

Coffee is more problematic, not so much because of climate problems but because it takes a long time to come to maturity and produce anything.

I solved the coffee problem by buying a large amount of green coffee beans. They keep for several years at room temperature. I just roast up what I want, half a pound or so at a time. If you think freshly ground coffee tastes better than the other stuff, try freshly roasted coffee!

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com