livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - nutrition

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - nutrition
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:17:04 -0500

The trouble
is there is so much advice about what to eat and what not, what pills to
take
or what exercise to do. Which leads to a creeping suspicion that much of
it is not serious. ~Dieter

This is always the kicker--people have grown weary with so much contradictory theory, so many gurus trying to get rich pushing a fad. Information fatigue, theory fatigue, fad fatigue, magic-bullet fatigue. Where can we find a solid guiding principle to help us sort it all out?

I'm really impressed with the work Weston A. Price did, 14 studies of indigenous peoples the world over, all of them enjoying almost perfect health, before their inundation by Western foods. Seems to me *that's* the key--finding out how people eating the same way their ancestors did for thousands of years, without access to industrial foods, innocent of theories about what are wise or stupid ways to eat--managed to enjoy a level of health we can only dream of. Then use the fundamental characteristics of those diets as a guide to our own eating.

For starters: Whole, natural foods rather than ersatz, highly manipulated imitations. The wholesomeness of traditional fats, in lieu of the fats in supermarket food today (some of which didn't even exist in our grandparents' day). Microbes, far from being a threat to food, can be beneficial. The critical importance of "supercharging" young people of reproductive age with nutrients, especially pregnant and lactating mothers.

For starters: http://westonaprice.org/

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

"Can't you see those dark clouds gathering up ahead?
They're gonna wash this planet clean, like the Bible said.
Now you can hold on steady, try to get ready,
But everybody's gonna get wet--
Don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet!" (Jackson
Browne)