livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - lamb

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: "McBride & Putnam" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - lamb
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:26:16 -0500

Hi Claudia,
I have shetlands and they are the same way . . . a little to smart in some respects, but great in every other way lol.
Norma

On 1/26/08, McBride & Putnam <dragonhill2@netzero.net> wrote:
Thanks, Carrie, but I think a lot of the flavor of my lambs has to do with the breed--Navajo Churro.  This breed was chosen by the Slow Foods movement for their Ark of Taste--heritage breeds of livestock that are particularly flavorful and easy to raise on pasture alone.  The Churros certainly fit that bill on both accounts.  These hardy little sheep can do well on the poorest deserts, survive extremes of weather, are great mothers and are can be used for milk, meat and fiber.  And as Carrie has discovered, the are wonderful eating.  They don't have the muttony taste that many people object to in lamb and even older animals that would be classified as mutton are quite good.  Ok--end of brag.

Claudia

--
Faith expects from God what is beyond all expectation. - Andrew Murray

visit our farm site at:http://www.freewebs.com/sweetspringfarm/

Check the latest farm photos at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sweetspringfarm