livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - nutrition

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: su do <speakingbeareturns@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - nutrition
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 06:03:23 -0800 (PST)

Great site This food tip was news to me:
Let collard greens sit for 10 minutes after cutting to
increase nutritional value
The latest scientific studies show that cutting
collard greens enhances the activation of an enzyme
called myrosinase that slowly converts some of the
glucosinolate phytonutrients into their active
health-promoting forms that have been shown to contain
cancer preventive properties. So to get the most
health benefits from collard greens, let them sit for
10 minutes after cutting before eating or cooking
(heat will inactivate the enzyme.) Additionally, since
myrosinase cannot function properly without ascorbic
acid (vitamin C), I like to sprinkle collard greens
with a little lemon juice (an excellent source of this
vitamin) after cutting to further increase the
enzyme's activity