livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - nutrition

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - nutrition
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:19:49 -0800 (PST)

I have to publicly aplaud Claudia here for her lamb -- Claudia, you gotta brag a little here about that lamb.  I've thought quite a bit about this over the past few years and I really believe we can be healthy with raw goat milk, raw eggs (ducks, guinea, or chicken or quail,etc..), and plenty of greens and herbs.   There were 4 months where 11 of us ate on a pretty meager food budget combined with what was being produced on our last 2.4 acre place.  With planning, I'm sure that we could have done even better, but there was a lot of transitioning going on from a SAD diet to eating what was served at my table.

The zone you live in makes such a huge difference what foods you have to plan for storing for out of season, but I'm like whoever said they liked winter squash in that the long necks, butternuts, seminoles, and i'm sure other varieties too can provide a lot of warming nourishing food for the winter months.  Building soil increases productivity and row covering really makes a huge difference in being able to push the seasons both ways.  I buy the row covering from www.robertmarvel.com and it usually lasts quite a few seasons if put away for the summer months.

parsley, sage, fennel, horseradish, and bok choi are really high on my favorites for greens overwintering/surviving crazy weather nicely in my zone.

blessings,
Carrie