internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] first time car buyer here--help

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: DonBartholf AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] first time car buyer here--help
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:08:46 EDT

To get the best price, you need to know the best price. Use Edmonds or a site like this to get an idea of the lower end of pricing.

Different dealerships stock different option packages. Shop around to get what you want. I personally avoid prepimped packages. I like the idea of taking someone along whose sworn duty is to make sure that you do not buy anything. This person should be dependable and take their duty seriously.  No pre shopping beers!

Most sales people will leave you alone if you say you are just looking. Driving up in a beater and dressing down help too. Once you know what you want, you can call around to get a price. Honest dealerships will give you a price over the phone. There is also an Internet feature that lets you ask several dealerships for their best price. This lets you avoid pushy or manipulative situations.

I have a Toyota and it has been a wonderful car.( I have several others and they have been good too) I have taken it to several dealerships. I avoid those that are connected to that guy with the white hair who does his own commercials.

You will get the best price at the end of the month. especially if the last few days have been rainy, because they may need to make a quota. Scout the sales board and learn who the top sales person and who the lowest is. If you feel committed to a particular salesperson, learn what position they are in. I just ask if I can't find the board. The top sales person may be in a position to make a deal to win a vacation, the lowest may deal to keep their job. The ones in the middle, I remind that any sale gets them closer to the top and I'm going to buy from someone.

They will ask about financing. Let them think they can make money on financing but be preapproved by your bank. So just talk price, not monthly payments. Determine what you will pay and make a lower offer. Walk away when they decline, but leave contact information. If you do this at several dealerships, its a good bet one will call you back to accept your offer or counter with your price. Good Luck

Best Wishes From:
"I say no for a living" Don Bartholf