internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] first time car buyer here--help

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] first time car buyer here--help
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:54:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Roger Austin wrote:

->it just sucks. Toyota Tundra is probably in my future.

My SO has a 99 Tacoma which he has faithfully maintained and it has given
him no problems. He's up to 89K miles now.

I have a 96 Dodge Neon that the previous owner put some aftermarket things
on (muffler, air filter) and took good care of. I got it at 100K, it's now
almost at 200K. Only 1 problem with the dashboard computer (the connection
is now getting tetchy - so the gauges will sometimes flatline) but all
else is great.

I paid $3000 for my car in 2001 at Al Smith's Used Car center, the "deals"
place next to the building formerly known as the Ritz. I got $300 knocked
off on the spot because I asked for it. But, I don't think that
particular division is in business any longer. However, I would imagine
that any car dealership which is giving good deals on new cars would have
a fair number of trade-ins that would be in good condition. Don't be shy
about taking it to your mechanic for an evaluation.

I also want to give a shout out to the Subaru GL wagon I had (1987; 250K
miles) - hauls like a truck, handles like a wee car, lasts forever. Mine
did finally give up the ghost after 3 years of ownership.

Whatever you do, get a Haynes or Chilton's manual about the particular
vehicle you own so you can be knowledgeable about the way it works and is
put together - you may be able to make minor repairs on your own.
Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the mechanics.

Also - a one month CARFAX VIN check subscription will run you $24.99 but
is well worth it for the ability to get vehicle history on your potential
ride.

Good luck with the car shopping - take your time, take pictures, do the
research and bring a friend!

Cheers
KJ

"A photograph is neither taken nor seized by force. It offers itself up.
It is
the photo that takes you. One must not take photos." Henri
Cartier-Bresson
www.hungryphotographer.org || www.ibiblio.org/kelly || kelly<*>unc.edu