internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] first time car buyer here--help

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott Lundgren" <internetworkers AT capitalfellow.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] first time car buyer here--help
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:01:27 -0400 (EDT)

> I strongly suggest you consider getting a car with higher mileage
> than 16K.... There's a big drop-off in price after 30K and 60K, but

The Consumer Reports guide to used cars was invaluable to me during my
purchase. I mainly used it in correlation with http://autos.msn.com/
because the MSN reliability reports were a second set of data (sourced
from mechanics that closely tracked with the CR's reader sourced data)
that had the added benefit of citing what parts or subsystems were prone
to long-term wear or failure with a cost estimate for repair/replacement.

I bought my undermileage Honda Prelude from CarMax when I was in the
process of relocating from RTP to Charlotte.

> It may be just me, but I think its ridiculous to spend such a high
> percentage of one's income on a quickly depreciating asset.

I would use this argument for not-pimpin' whatever you aquire but it is
your choice.