internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] first time car buyer here--help

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] first time car buyer here--help
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:06:26 -0400

on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 06:54:27PM -0400, K. Jo Garner wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Roger Austin wrote:
>
> ->it just sucks. Toyota Tundra is probably in my future.
>
> My SO has a 99 Tacoma which he has faithfully maintained and it has given
> him no problems. He's up to 89K miles now.

<aol>

Mine's a '95 Tacoma, and I haven't even done much to maintain it, and the
only problem it has is that it could stand to be cleaner. Runs like a top,
just barely scraping 60K miles. Got it at Carmax for $12K in 1996. I <3
Toyotas. I think aside from gas and oil changes and tires I've put $200
into it in maintenance/repairs; once because my battery went bad, and once
to get the clutch ignition switch realigned.

Before that, I had an '84? Toyota Corolla; it had been in two accidents
in the same spot in the rear driver's side quarterpanel, so it looked a
mess but it ran fine. Sold it (when I bought the truck) for $50. Had
165K miles or so on it, and the CV joint boots were bad so the front
suspension was basically falling apart (a relic of the accidents) but I
still got more than ten years out of that car, too, accidents and all.

My biggest concern with the pickup is that I've somehow screwed up the
lighter; the casing pulls out a ways when I pull the lighter itself out.
When it's time to buy a new lighter for your vehicle it may be time to
trade it in. ;)

One thing about Carmax: you may want to arrange for insurance with your
existing provider (if you have one) or before you go in to buy a car
from them (we use Farm Bureau, which was about 1/3 the cost of my old
GEICO policy - YMMV). The Carmax insurance is overpriced, or was ten
years ago... Dunno if that's changed.

HTH,
Steve

--