internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Competitive Enterprise Institute

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Competitive Enterprise Institute
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:24:08 -0400

On Jun 14, 2006, at 11:26 PM, Shea Tisdale wrote:

I saw this on John Stewart’s show and I thought it was a joke, but then I went and took a look.  The CEI has taken aim at Gore and his movie tour and create some ads telling us about our friend CO2.  They have another ad that is about global warming too.

http://streams.cei.org/

Its exactly the same thing that happened with cigarets.   There was "research" by Tobacco-funded groups showing that cigarets were safe, personal attacks on anti-smoking groups, and then finally after decades the admission that "everyone knows smoking causes cancer, but its a personal choice".

The current debate is being framed largely as a cultural war, which could potentially backfire for the industry lobbies if handled carefully.  In my opinion environmental concerns, despite the rhetoric, cuts across cultural wars.  For example, avid conservative hunters want to preserve habitat, and even the most rabid anti-environmental conservative doesn't want pollution in their own neighborhood.

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Birdseye Maple 12-String Chapman Stick #499
Chapel Hill, NC