internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Microsoft to sell personalinformationaboutcustomers to advertisers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Microsoft to sell personalinformationaboutcustomers to advertisers
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:16:50 -0500

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:02:07 -0800 (PST), Tom Caswell
<derpimpkar AT yahoo.com> wrote:
> If the second rate software on Windows is causing the problem, it's not
> Windows causing the problem. Second rate software will cause problems on
> any system. My point is you can prevent Windows from becoming the weak
> link.

No, you have misunderstood operating system architectures. Microsoft,
by putting everything it possibly could into the kernel has made Windows
much less stable. So, when a 3rd party application calls one of the
microsoft functions to do something it calls into the kernel and anything
wrong there causes system instability.

Now, contrast that with something like Linux or Apple. Because libraries
are located outside of the kernel, when something goes wrong in them
it only affects the single application that's using it, not the entire system.

So, yes, it *is* windows that is causing the problem exactly because of
what Microsoft has done by putting everything it could into the kernel.
Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way of fixing it without completely
throwing it out and starting over.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace