internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Microsoft to sell personalinformationaboutcustomers to advertisers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Microsoft to sell personalinformationaboutcustomers to advertisers
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:02:07 -0800 (PST)

If the second rate software on Windows is causing the problem, it's not Windows causing the problem.  Second rate software will cause problems on any system.  My point is you can prevent Windows from becoming the weak link.

The readers of this list aren't average users, agreed.  But we make up the minority of all computer users.  You can argue Microsoft created a business plan of quantity over quality and it clearly works.  Apple isn't trying to own the server market even though they're borrowing Unix concepts, they're trying to compete against Wintel.  To me, arguing uptime for an Apple machine against the support and user base of Wintel is a wasted effort.  Intel Linux kicks Apple's ass using that argument because it's free and performs the same tasks.  Now Apple has nowhere to go - overpriced server and no desktop support.  Apple needs to win over consumers for their Macs the same way they did with iPods - supporting software like iTunes.  Their hardware and operating system won't do it alone.

Tom

zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org> wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Tom Caswell wrote:
> I have multiple WebSphere environments supported by DB2 and LDAP on various Windows boxs. I've grinded the boxes with real users and they run fine. Windows is stable if you know how to manage it.

Well we have 3 DNA sequencers that run windows, we have no control over
their software and they suck... and don't even get me started on anything
Intuit makes or Exchange or the dozens of other crappy things that people
sell. It's not the management of the servers it second rate software..

> The majority of (personal) users don't care about uptime. There isn't a single Mac ad that shows it running for months without a reboot. I'd buy a Mac in a heartbeat but it doesn't support games for crap. Macs will have marketshare when they have the software catalog of Windows which is never. Save the emulator argument.

Uhhh we aren't the average user, so we are concerned.... and it's
quality over quantity....

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1959 GMC in Chevy Sheetmetal 1/2 Ton (235" Inline 6)
1923 Buick Roadster (Dual Quad 425" Nailhead)
1990 Ducati 750 Sport

Do you Yahoo!?