internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: Microsoft to sell personalinformationaboutcustomers to advertisers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: Microsoft to sell personalinformationaboutcustomers to advertisers
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:54:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Lance A. Brown wrote:
zman wrote:
I actually wish we could get our Dells with the option for SATA instead
of SCSI, we don't need the extra expense, and that is what it is these
days... But then again I took it easy on the Dell and only speced it
with the 5 client version of 2003. The OS X sever that comes with the
Xserve is unlimited. I also speced these as entry level rack servers.
I've had more SCSI drives fail this year than SATA in our servers and
RAIDs... 6 SCSI drives in the last 6 months and 0 SATA drives...

Comparable ages, or were the SCSI drives older ones?

Comparable ages... that's the thing that is weird, a year ago I was all about using only SCSI in servers. This year it looks like the SCSI quality and SATA have gotten very close. I think because we have about 3 times as many SCSI drives I'd call it even. Now for the big raids I'm not quite sold yet but I have been researching the Xraid quite a bit and can't touch the price point with a name brand SCSI raid... I think we'll be getting one pretty soon...

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1959 GMC in Chevy Sheetmetal 1/2 Ton (235" Inline 6)
1923 Buick Roadster (Dual Quad 425" Nailhead) 1990 Ducati 750 Sport