internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Microsoft tosellpersonalinformationaboutcustomers to advertisers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Microsoft tosellpersonalinformationaboutcustomers to advertisers
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:45:22 -0500

Tanner Lovelace somehow wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:36:17 -0500, Shea Tisdale <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
> wrote:
> > You know I'm all for all this techno-babble argumentation back and forth
> > about the virtues of one OS over another and why one should choose one
> over
> > the other - but how about this for a good reason:
> >
> > Because Microsoft is EVIL. NO question about it, no argument, end of
> story.
>
> I was actually trying to avoid rhetoric and emotion.

Uh, it's not rhetoric or emotion. It's a fact. Probably more of fact than
any argument over the quality of their software since quality is a
subjective term and system setup and administration is as widely varied as
one can imagine. Whereas, being evil is not a subjective term but clearly
defined:

e.vil ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vl)
adj. e.vil.er, e.vil.est
1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.
2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.
3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.
4. Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.
5. Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.

n.
1. The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.
2. That which causes harm, misfortune, or destruction: a leader's power to
do both good and evil.
3. An evil force, power, or personification.
4. Something that is a cause or source of suffering, injury, or destruction:
the social evils of poverty and injustice.

Let's go point by point, shall we...

1. Morally bad or wrong - oh jeez, the trail of companies they have
destroyed intentionally through their practices more than speaks to this.
Not to mention their licensing, their monopoly, etc.
2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful. See 1 above. Also consider
your own argument. Their software sucks. Running it is a pain and harmful
to your health.
3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.
Once again consider your own argument. Using MS products is definitely
setting yourself up for future misfortune. Not to mention they now want to
sell all that data you gave them in the past. And how many system admins
feel a sense of ominous foreboding when they here that a project will be
implemented on MS products rather than Unix, etc.

Need I go on??? It is as plain as day.

End of story.

No seriously, stop...

No really I mean it. I know you want to reply and argue this, but really
stop. There is no argument. Even people at Microsoft know they are evil so
give it up.

No, really...it's over. Head down to the bar and have a drink. Microsoft
is Evil and nothing you can say will change it.