internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] where your job is headed ...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] where your job is headed ...
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:45:31 -0500

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 07:28 PM, Thomas Beckett wrote:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_05/b3818001.htm

I don't think there's any question that the huge outsourcing of jobs on this scale is going to result in a massive drop in the standard of living in the US. The first pilot projects in outsourcing have ended and companies are starting to ramp up on outsourcing, meaning many fewer jobs in the US, with a corresponding drop in salaries for the jobs that remain.

The big question is whether the resulting drop in the cost of goods and services will result in a lower cost of living in the US, which would enable us (we living in the US) to be able to maintain a minimal standard of living.

One option for those of us in IT is to follow the jobs. Hmmm... $125 a month to rent an apartment? How's the weather in Hyderabad?

I wonder how a two bedroom apartment for $125/month on a salary of $10K a year compares to here? Let's compare that to $700/month for a two bedroom here on an average salary of $60K. $125 * 12/10,000 = 15% of the gross salary going for rent in Hyderabad, vs 700*12 / 60K = 14%.

--M. Czeiszperger