internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] where your job is headed ...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Russell <scottrus AT ipass.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] where your job is headed ...
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:35:23 -0500

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 10:18:48PM -0500, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> On 1/30/03 8:56 PM, "David R. Matusiak" <dave AT matusiak.org> wrote:
> I know that some big blue company in the area that shall remain nameless is
> guilty of this, too (moving jobs to India, IIRC).
>
> Indian workers are often given American sounding names, given voice training
> to help shake the accent, they get to watch American satellite TV to learn
> our culture, etc. The whole idea being when you call tech support your call
> may be connected to someone in India but you're not supposed to be able to
> tell.

I worked in the Big Blue server group few years as L2 helpdesk support. We
were based in RTP and I know the group still is. (it makes good sense to put
your L2 server team on the same campus with your development and product
engineering teams.) IBM has call centers world wide for a long time now and
to my knowledge no one ever has had "Americanization" training.

That's not to say that IBM hasn't moved some jobs to .in and .cn in the past
and will most likely continue to do so given the economic trends.

--
Scott
Do not trifle with me, I have eaten 104 brains.