internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] where your job is headed ...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] where your job is headed ...
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:56:19 -0500

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 02:19 PM, David Minton wrote:

Something to remember about "family and friends in the manufacturing area"
that lost their jobs in North Carolina--it is just a long established trend.
They got their jobs when labor became too expensive in the North East.
Agricultural workers were willing to work for lower wages than Northerners
in North Carolina, I guess to get out of the fields. The process will repeat
itself when the latest recipients of those jobs want higher wages than those
in an even less developed country.

I don't think there's any question that what we're seeing is part of an old trend of both job and business migration. The big difference is the use of the internet to do remote professional work that used to be immune to such things, and the big question is what are each of us personally going to do about it?

Ending a sentence with a preposition is nothing to be ashamed of.
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC