internetworkers - RE: Peace Rally

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Maria Winslow <maria.winslow AT dexxtra.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Peace Rally
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:32:34 -0400

We have to keep in mind that much of the world is a very different
environment. You don't
back a freedom fighter group from [fill in the blank] and expect that there
will suddenly
be a democratic, free society resembling Cary, NC. But it also doesn't feel
right to say
"Well, [fill in the blank horrible human rights abuse] is just part of their
culture." So
we fall somewhere in the middle. It is easy to point to secret things our
government has
done that appear to be failures when compared to our idealized view of open
society. I
don't have the hubris to suggest that I would have made better choices. There
is quite a
lot that we don't know in many situations. By the way, I am not commenting on
ethics of the
CIA, just that it's very easy to judge extremely complicated situations after
the fact.

I am pleasantly surprised that the Bush administration has done an excellent
job of
attempting to lead people down a path that is not racist. The visit to the
mosque was a
good call, as was the mix of religious leaders at the memorial thing. And his
speech last
night again reinforced it. I think it is important, since he sets the tone
for many people.
In effect, he has been telling people that they can't be patriotic and racist
at the same
time.

Maria

Steven Champeon wrote:

> on Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 01:31:21PM -0400, David Spitz wrote:
> > As for the points, I agree that I have no problem with the last
> > two. I just don't think they're relevant to the current
> > situation. Anyone who thinks our action is based on racism has a
> > seriously skewed view of the world. And the idea of reacting to
> > terrorism by "redressing our policy" is so bass-ackwards it's
> > laughable. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"...
>
> Are you suggesting that our support of Israel, our lack of response to
> the recent Israeli moves against Palestinians, our mass starvation of
> the Iraqi people, our abandonment of Afghanistan once the Russians
> withdrew (after training rebels in guerrilla warfare), our support of
> the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, our removal of the democratically elected
> government of Iran, our sanctions against Pakistan, our dealing with a
> military dictator in Pakistan now that we need him, our defense of the
> Kuwaiti monarchy in the name of "democratic principles", and other
> policies had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks? Or are you just
> saying that changing our already ridiculous policies is now out of the
> question because of the terrorist attacks? Or are you saying that our
> policies in the Middle East and South Asia have been right all along?
>
> I'm just curious.
>
> Steve
>
> --
> hesketh.com/inc. v: (919) 834-2552 f: (919) 834-2554 w: http://hesketh.com

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
> maria.winslow AT dexxtra.com

Maria Winslow
maria.winslow AT dexxtra.com
919-968-7802 tel