internetworkers - RE: Peace Rally

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Peace Rally
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:45:37 -0400

on Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 01:31:21PM -0400, David Spitz wrote:
> As for the points, I agree that I have no problem with the last
> two. I just don't think they're relevant to the current
> situation. Anyone who thinks our action is based on racism has a
> seriously skewed view of the world. And the idea of reacting to
> terrorism by "redressing our policy" is so bass-ackwards it's
> laughable. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"...

Are you suggesting that our support of Israel, our lack of response to
the recent Israeli moves against Palestinians, our mass starvation of
the Iraqi people, our abandonment of Afghanistan once the Russians
withdrew (after training rebels in guerrilla warfare), our support of
the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, our removal of the democratically elected
government of Iran, our sanctions against Pakistan, our dealing with a
military dictator in Pakistan now that we need him, our defense of the
Kuwaiti monarchy in the name of "democratic principles", and other
policies had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks? Or are you just
saying that changing our already ridiculous policies is now out of the
question because of the terrorist attacks? Or are you saying that our
policies in the Middle East and South Asia have been right all along?

I'm just curious.

Steve