internetworkers - Re: silly cable question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: silly cable question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:58:46 -0400

Why not both? Put the cat 5 cable in the walls to a central location.
You can decide to use them later, but putting them in later would be a
pain. Putting in a few extra boxes with blank covers wouldn't be a big
expense in your addition and you would have an alternative networking
scheme. It might add something to the house when you sell it to have it
"wired".

I'm still a little queasy whether wireless is worth it in the long run.
I almost never move a computer and I rarely move away from my little
office hole. I might want to have wireless if I used a laptop on the
front porch swing, but my Inspiron 7500 weighs about 15 pounds so my lap
would probably be creased after a while.

I would like to share a nice network laser printer with my sweetie or
be able to get a server to do some of the administrative jobs or share a
scanner easily. I'd like to share a net connection or backup the client
systems over a high-speed line to a server.

If the walls are open for cabling, I would put in cat 5 or level 6. I
would also probably look into wireless too. One thing to think about is
creating an area in your utility area to terminate all those network,
cable, and phone connections. Too many people ignore the utility area
when they are planning an addition or a new house. It is important to
have a place where all the cables can be organized (stated like a true
geek!)
Roger (in RTP)