internetworkers - Re: silly cable question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT hotmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: silly cable question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:43:38 -0400

well,

if you're really serious about this home network, you should look into having two or more OC3's dropped to the house. i'd go with a decent provider like sprint or cable & wireless. i'd also avoid uunet like the plague - consider them the micro$oft of networking (unless your into that whole 'world domination/mind control' thing). you'll need the redundancy to assure high bandwidth at all times. plus, next time we are all snowed in, you will be guaranteed fast responses to this list.

from there, i would use some cisc^H^H^H^H nortel edge routers to handle those OC3's. you definitely want fiber at this point. you would also want strong ACL's in place to limit the amount of snoops on your network. the traffic should pass to internal routers; perhaps of the nortel or cabletron ilk. i would not use bay networks equipment - from all reports i've heard, they have actual gremlins in them that come out to eat your cabling - not good for achieving the five nines of uptime.

the internal routers can be room specific or latitude/longitude specific. to save cash, you could go with _only_ one internal router and use secure VLANs to corral off each network segment. this is wise because then guests in the guest room cannot gain access to your kitchen network, or even worse, your master bedroom network. if you went with the one router solution, you would most likely need to add several cards to achieve maximum port capacity.

i would also become concerned about application level security at this point. for all sensitive systems, it would be best to firewall them individually or, better yet, turn them off completely and unplug them. whichever room would be serving your mission critical data would most certainly need a load balancing solution. the alteon switching method is fair to mild, with F5's BigIP machines edging them out in performance only marginally. you can do 'round-robin' load balancing at the router level, but for quality assurance, it is always better to add another highly complex point of failure to the mix.

this proposal will not touch on the internal machine serving your data because i'm sure your in-house IT people will have that under control. oh wait... your question. cabling?

yeah, cat5, cat6, whatever it takes.

the only sensible alternative to this is a G4 ti book with airport.
sDSL recommended. check your local listings. prices may vary. whatever you do, do NOT accept the contractual stipulation that they are required to eat your food while installing your hardware. this is a clause from decades ago that should have been phased out by now. i had to learn this one the hard way. i was out four microwave pizzas, a country ham and several bags of doritos when the Rhythms techs set up camp here for a week.

otherwise, best of luck.
dave m. ;)