internetworkers - Re: silly cable question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lisa Linn <Lisa.Linn AT sas.com>
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: silly cable question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:23:55 -0400

> I'm still a little queasy whether wireless is worth it in
> the long run.
> I almost never move a computer and I rarely move away from my little
> office hole. I might want to have wireless if I used a laptop on the
> front porch swing, but my Inspiron 7500 weighs about 15
> pounds so my lap
> would probably be creased after a while.

I have to say that the iBook + airport combination has really been a boon for
me. Of course, the fact that the iBook is comfortable to hold (rounded &
rubberized) has a lot to do with this. I like to do a lot of reading on
line now, which i didn't when i was forced to use a particular room & chair
with my computer. A lot of what I do on line does not require my full
attention; i like to surf & half-watch tv, or listen to music or whatever.
Doing design work in front of the tv can work out really well, too; visually
intense movies like "yellow submarine" can be a sort of moving feast of
inspiration while you're working out a design.

i also find that i get more little web projects done when i don't have to go
to a certian place in the house to work on them. i guess that's a quirk of
my personality-- don't tie me down! i like that the iBook is integrated
into the main flow of my house, it's just another item in my living room,
without all the high mass of cables & whatnot.

I wish I could more effectively use it outside during daylight (maybe one day
with an organic lcd!) but using it outside at night can be really nice.

it's one of those things the value of which you can only guess at before you
experience it.

-lisa l.