internetworkers - Re: Fwd: Fwd: silly cable question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Fwd: silly cable question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:49:18 -0400

Here's a related question: if you wanted use a wireless network and share your DSL/cable net connection, would you still have to buy an NAT switch to do so?

TaB

At 11:04 AM 4/18/01 -0400, you wrote:
on Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 10:47:00AM -0400, Edward Wesolowski wrote:
> Has anyone had experience with 802.11b wireless?

Yes, I'm using Airport (which is an 802.11b product based on Lucent's
Wavelan/Orinoco Silver product, with 64bit WEP encryption) at both
home and work. I love it. The Airport PC cards are $99, the Airport
base station is $299, and you can use Lucent cards in any PC for
~$300 or less:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results.asp?grp=WAD

For $69, you can get PCI Lucent cards (basically, just a PCMCIA card
interface glued to a PCI card, AFAICT, so you should even be able to
yank it out and use it in a laptop - YMMV).

I'm not sure I'd give up on catV for the office just yet, though we
are using wireless for presentations and the like, but it's getting
too cheap not to try wireless if you're interested.

--
"Euphoria is not a business strategy" -- Louis Rossetto

You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: thomas AT tbeckett.com