internetworkers - Re: silly cable question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Cox <glcox AT pobox.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: silly cable question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:24:09 -0400 (EDT)

> It has occurred to me that as long as he's pulling wire anyway,
> he might as well pull the sorts of wire that would be useful in
> setting up a home network.

Physical home networking guide, geared towards do-it-yourselfers:
http://arstechnica.com/guide/networking/installation-1.html

> I've thought about getting an older windows-type machine because
> I'm really interested in X-10ing my house. I would expect that
> the cable might be used to connect my laptop in the bedroom to
> my X-10 machine in the living room.

You can get Mac software for IBM's Home Director.
http://www.smarthome.com/1400.html

You can get a transceiver X10 module, program it once, flash the
instructions into a PROM from your machine, and let it run on its
own, so, long-term connection to the X10 portion of the house
shouldn't be necessary. You shouldn't need the computer once it's
programmed, except maybe to reset the clock for begin/end DST.