internetworkers - Re: Fwd: Fwd: silly cable question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT pobox.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Fwd: silly cable question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:31:55 -0400 (EDT)

At 12:13pm Today, "Gina Norman" typed :
> Ok -- so the minimum to set up a wireless network is:
>
> $299 base station
> 300? card for PC (or mac)
> ____
> 600 investment

You can get OEM Wireless cards for $100 or less, and I saw at least one
base station at $199.

if you have a firewall/router box like I do, you could buy a PCMCIA
Cardslot for the router, and use that instead, bringing the whole cost
down to under $300 ($60 for the PCI->PCMCIA card, $100 +/- for the Cards)

> Knowing that I have the option to go wireless at any time, and knowing
> that they're gonna be pulling cable anyway (for the speaker wire) does it
> not make sense to get them to pull CAT5 or 6 or something? (I'm assuming
> that the wire itself doesn't cost hundereds of dollars...)

Absolutely! But make sure they run it properly! The current law allows
them to run phone lines as a single cable, cut and re-joined at each
junction box. This is, of course, bad for ethernet. You may end up paying
extra for each run. But it would be worth it, IMHO.

I wish I had put the down on this house before they had run the wires for
just that purpose, but I can always run 'em myself later *grin*

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist --