homestead - Re: [Homestead] british survival post apocalypse

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] british survival post apocalypse
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:14:31 EST

> > It is certainly not worth
> arguing about, because he is entitled to his or her own opinion, but it
> is hard to think about just where you draw the line on why someone is
> interested in homesteading.

Main thing I'd add here, Bev, is that I am not commenting on WHY people
homestead (or go into survival mode or escapist mode for that matter). Why,
as you
intimate, isn't that important. No one is drawing any lines based on 'why'.

The whole modus operendi of the survivalist is starkly different from that of
the homesteader. The survivalist or escapist, as an example, is always
looking for that perfect time, vaguely sometime in the future, to drop out
and go
into survivalist mode. For the homesteader the time to go into homesteading
mode is always the same, that is, as soon as possible.

A homesteader is concerned first with a water supply, soil fertility,
climate, neighbors, etc. The survivalist is concerned first with how many
rounds of
ammo, gold coins, MRE's, and what silly thing they are going to stash away as
a barter good for the upcoming Mad Max world.

It doesn't matter WHY someone's doing it, only what they are doing ...... if
anything.

James