homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fear & Loathing , new Peter Schiff interview, immeninent dem

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fear & Loathing , new Peter Schiff interview, immeninent dem
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:32:00 -0800

Ah, Leslie, farmers don't pay tax on diesel for tractors. Increasing taxes won't hurt them in the least.

And that would be my point about the trucking industry which is a major waste of fuel. If you look around the countryside you'll see old off-loading platforms all over the place on the rail lines. They are all now defunct because of the gas hungry trucking industry. The day of the trucker is fast approaching a realistic demise. Trucks should be used for short haul only!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

Near a city? Not a chance - I'm in the camp that they are going to be much more dangerous places.

I already drive a 100mpg scooter.... I haven't found a vehicle that gets more than that. I think I'm already doing my part, much more so than the city folks. And I'm an expert horseman, push come to shove.

Government subsidy? Not a chance.... I think most of government should be lined up and sh*t....

The point was that increasing taxes on fuel will hurt rural people. Not only in their personal transportationg needs. Most farmers still use tractors to farm food for the city folks. And transportation of food to the city folks still requires fuel, much of it by truck from farms to rail. Farmers also need to have supplies to grow food delivered to them by trucks. (Fertilizers, seeds, etc.)

Forget the homesteading aspects of farming for this conversation.... as city folks aren't producing food in their highrise condos... and require food from food producers (a/k/a farmers).

Maybe what the government should do is ONLY raise fuel tax on folks who are either living in a city, or not producing food.......so that the farmers can still get the city folks food at a reasonable price.