homestead - Re: [Homestead] Demotorization

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Demotorization
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 07:42:51 -0700

On Jan 2, 2009, at 7:31 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

I used the Chicago mass transit system for a decade in the 1970s. It
was fine. My niece who has lived in and commuted to and from southside
and near northwest side neighborhoods in the last five years says
buses and trains are still fine. Americans seem to be afraid to be in
public places, but when enough people get out and about public places
get safer.

One of the more delightful aspects of living in San Francisco in the late fifties was riding the buses and cable cars. About the only part of buses I didn't like was that our walk-up flat at 720 Haight Street was only a couple buildings up from the corner bus stop. Like sirens, bus brake sounds take getting used to. I never did.