homestead - Re: [Homestead] Demotorization

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Demotorization
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:43:12 -0500

Unfortunately, what happens is that all rules of civil living are allowed to be ignored, so that eventually, anyone who can afford it returns to driving their cars. I have lived here a long time, and have never ridden a city bus; my wife was 'born' here, and except for a few years in san Francisco, has lived here almost all of her life; and as far as I know has never ridden a >city bus.

I went to graduate school in north Philadelphia (Temple U), one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. I rode the decrepit 50-year-old trolly through the city everyday. Later I dragged my young children around on buses to doctors and play dates. People who truly believe in public transit have no problem rubbing elbows with the unwashed masses...today I AM one of those unwashed masses. :-)

Lynn Wigglesworth