homestead - Re: [Homestead] Demotorization

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Demotorization
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 17:40:59 -0500

I came across a lady on freecycle who lives a similar lifestyle to some of us-she lives remotely on a mountain north of here...she rents a car for a day when she needs one. She schedules all of her business on a certain day or days, and then rents a car. That really makes a lot of sense to me. Spend $50 or so a month...no insurance needs, no car payment, no gasoline bills...earth friendly...one trip to the store, doctors visits, errands...you can do much online these days...she actually sells avon online...good food for thought.

Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
This isn't something that is going to happen here as it is happening in Japan but it illustrates a more profound principle:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/The_demotorization_of_Japan.html

The vital market of young people in Japan start to see car ownership as losing its charm and so design their lives to not revolve around having one.
All it takes is for the mystique of the large McMansion in the burbs to wear off, and it will not be possible to give them away. Here in changing times lots of things are on the table like that, there are alternatives to a college "education", personal credit is becoming hard to come by, and the era of sitting comatose at a computer screen and earning a living by moving little blips around the financial world could disappear in a trice.

James