homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken Feed Quest.

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken Feed Quest.
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 23:03:37 -0600

We costed out our feed, bedding, etc. and feel we break even by selling our eggs at $3.50/dozen. We have no trouble getting that price and most of our immediate neighbors are customers. The main product we get, besides superior eggs, is chicken manure that we compost for our garden.

Harvey Ussery is the expert on making your own chicken feed, and has published many good articles in Backyard Poultry and elsewhere about it.

What price do the rest of you get for your eggs?

--Sage

Susan Trickett wrote:
Hi,
Chicken feed is expensive:-) I sold some eggs today and hope to find
another 6 or 7 buyers for my extra eggs in order to buy feed. This way I get
my eggs for free. I live in a small town and although my lot is a good size I
don't think it's big enough to grow grains for the chickens, especially since
I want to grow as much food as possible for us this year. Does anyone have
any suggestions as to fast growing plants that I can feed to the chickens,
either green or dried that won't take much room? I was thinking some sort of
ground cover/crop cover? The chicken pen is all dirt now and we are going to
build some lightweight chicken tractors so we can move them around the yard
but I'm hoping to only have a little, if any grass areas by next fall. Also,
since the chicken's outdoor area is dirt and that's where their food and
water is too, do I need to make grit available to them? They are about 7
months old and laying nicely.

Sue in Aberdeen WA