homestead - Re: [Homestead] Demotorization

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Demotorization
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:29:20 -0800 (PST)

Lynn, we just opened our Billion dollar plus light rail system. It is quite
attractive and runs within pretty easy walking didtance to my home.
I remember riding the Metro in Wash. D.C., when it was still new and clean.

Unfortunately, what happens is that all rules of civil living are allowed to
be ignored, so that eventually, anyone who can afford it returns to driving
their cars. I have lived here a long time, and have never ridden a city bus;
my wife was 'born' here, and except for a few years in san Francisco, has
lived here almost all of her life; and as far as I know has never ridden a
city bus.

If the city had spent 20% of what they spent on light rail buying new buses
and somehow enforcing a decent standard of behavior in public and confined
places, like buses, they could have gotten the same results they are going to
get; and saved a billion dollars.

It will be fun to ride the train back and forth to Tempe, etc, for an art
book show at the Guggenheim, or to visit one of the little university ethnic
cafes. But, I don't see a bright future as far as reducing the number of
cars on the road. The gov't will not use common sense.......