homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken Feed Quest.

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken Feed Quest.
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 23:03:01 -0600

We also use wood shavings, as we can't get straw where we live. It makes great compost. We live in a rocky area, so we must build the soil all we can. Our feed is not organic, but it is free of all medicines (we vaccinate our chicks for coccidiosis so we don't need it in the feed). We sell our eggs as natural and free-ranging.--Sage

Susan Trickett wrote:
Hi Sage,
I got 2.75/dozen which is high for this area. Organic eggs are higher but
my feed isn't organic. I didn't consider the bedding cost but we will use it
and the manure in the garden. What do you use for bedding? We've been using
wood shavings but will probably switch back to straw.

Thanks!

Sue