homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Gold

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Gold
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:13:44 -0800 (PST)

<<<<".....phenomenon of a bubble, you must sell somewhere around the zenith.
Or at
least on the risings side of things higher than you paid for it.  If the gold
investor's stragegy is to exploit the bubble, there's really not a lot
of leeway  in the timing to be successful."   >>>>

I disagree,,,, there is time, but not in terms of years or making a decision
- decision making time tends to need to be made within a few short
weeks/months once the top is in.

For instance, take a look at  a recent chart of oil, and it's rapid collapse.
I don't believe oil was in a bubble proper since it only rose 300%, but the
chart illustrates how fast price can fall, which I believe is specifically
the point you are talking about.... there was not a lot of leeway in timing
for oil in 2008..

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$WTIC&p=W&b=5&g=0&id=p00252857636

Oil started its rapid rise Jan 07, and let's say you didn't buy until $67-70
area.  Price rises and you have no idea where the top will be.  Even if you
just use a simple cross of a 5x20 simple moving average cross after the top,
you're out at the $125 area (about a 200% increase).  The collapse was
spectacular in that it only took 6 months, but there was still time to get
out.  For two reasons,,,,, masses think pull-backs in price are bargain buys
on the way down, and shorts cover (natural buyers).

Some 99% of the rest of the world has no idea that there are times when gold
has no value.  Heck I didn't even think of that until you mentioned
something.  So I just don't forsee any high or even medium low possibility of
an overnight price collapse.  If that has happened before, please let me know
- that is something I would like to know about.

Same thing in the recent real estate bubble.  You didn't have to sell at the
2005 high in housing to cash out near zenith.  2006 was close enough even
though past the zenith - the masses still weren't thinking in terms of
bubble, didn't understand that a credit bubble caused it, etc.

Same in all bubbles; they pop faster than they rise more or less, but price
doesn't 100% collapse overnight.

So to address the question, there's time to get out - depending on where you
start.

The concept of never having to be in a position to liquidate holds true for
every investment, not just gold.  It is the same for stocks, bonds, even real
estate.  A lot of people buy real estate with a mortgage, and many don't
think about finding themselves in a forced liquidation situation when prices
are low.  Heck even now, some people are losing their homes because they
can't afford the tax man and insurance any more.

<<... the one characteristic of holding wealth in gold is this:  You have to
be able and willing to hold it indefinately.>>>

That would come back to knowing WHY one wants to own gold.  And if that
decision is made - to own - recognizing that price goes up and down, and
knowing WHEN the time is right, and WHEN to sell.  Most things can even be
sold at a loss (defeats the purpose of buying, buy still can be sold at a
loss).

Deciding to hold indefinitely, to me would imply either a belief that gold
will go from $X (whatever the high is) to $zero practically overnight.... or
a refusal to admitting an error in purchase price and refusing to sell at a
small loss (which is NEVER someone's intentions when they buy anything, but
it happens all the time) before it turns into a big loss.   (which could mean
one might decide to pass it on to the next generation UNintentionally -
intentionally is a different story).  If there is no intent to hold for the
next generation, better darn well have sell rules - gain or loss.

We agree that not all forms of storing excess wealth are equal.   Each person
must choose form himself which is best to tide one over during good times and
bad, and whether to put all eggs in one basket, or several, whether to hedge
against depression, hyperinflation, a total change in a national lifestyle,
etc.  For someone who doesn't have much money, buying extra clothes
(something needed for survival) in addition to seeds (and related farming
items) might be one place to put savings.  For others who have a lot more
excess wealth - they'll have to decide additional forms.  But they are not
all equal.  Some serve one purpose, others serve other purposes.

I think WTSHTF, there are going to be several phases of it.... each with
challenges, including as one of your other posts talked about - a lack of
recognition on the part of the masses that times have changed.  Part of this
is already happening.

Kirby writes:
"History demonstrates that fiat money systems have been tried countless times
over the past two or three thousand years, and in EVERY case they collapse
into a hyperinflation, followed by a deflationary depression. These
depressions usually destabilize societies leading to chaos and war. Because
fiat currencies have such a “perfectly futile historical record,” the only
means by which Central Banks can delay this inevitable conclusion is through
“control” of the perceived value of precious metal."
http://www.financialsense.com/Market/kirby/2008/1229.html
(there's some other stuff in the article)

For those who own land, real estate taxes & insurance (if purchased) will
cost more in the hyperinflation phase.  Real estate tax alone, is one heck of
a good reason to have a plan in place that will keep up with rising real
estate tax.  It could be working at a job with a payroll that keeps with
inflation -- or passive investments - ass-its as you called them. :-)  Or
both.

The chaos and war part in today's world could get to the point of interuption
of food & other supplies.  A self-sustaining homesteader wouldn't have to
worry about this much.  But the former - rising real estate tax - should be a
concern should a hyperinflation unfold.  In a prolonged depression, one could
probably get real estate tax reduced if one could prove decreased value (good
luck.... LOL).

Someone posted an article about a Russian guy predicting the US currency
would collapse sometime in the next 2 years, and the US could fracture apart
into five sections being taken over by other countries.  OK, let's put that
for starters in the "skinny" end of probabilities.  But for discussion.......
say it happened.  If you're in the section that goes to let's say Mexico -
and the US dollar has collapsed, you have to trade your worthless dollars in
for pesos somehow. Although how would be a different story.... the exchange
rate I'd guess wouldn't be favorable.  But a piece of silver or gold might do
better under that circumstance.... Might.  (Low probability scenario - the
government didn't let the South seceed from the nation 150 years ago.... hard
to imagine the gov't letting 5 other nations take us over...that would be
something though !)

In today's world I'd put emphasis on survival skills and supplies first.  If
I thought a hyperinflation was unfolding, I'd offset SOME loss of purchasing
power with gold/silver/oil and other commodities. But with a specific sell
strategy - otherwise there is no point to buying.

Hmmm, let's see, can one buy gold now to buy a survival lifestyle later?  It
probably would be a lot better to have practiced beforehand, be prepared
ahead of time since one can not predict what will go into short supply....
And I suppose it depends on what is causing the need for survival lifestyle.

I doubt someone with gold is going to be able to pry any farmland from an
existing homesteader.  But most people are not homesteaders.  You never know
why some people sell things that have real value (say productive land) at the
oddest times.  You never know why/when someone wants to buy gold.  It isn't
impossible.  My guess is it would just need to be done before the end of a
hyperinflation stage - because gold price collapses in depressions (which for
3000 years depressions have followed hyperinflation/currency collapses - so
decent odds on that bet).  Some people might actually want to flee the
country, and smuggle their gold out.  You never know when or why people will
exchange XYZ for gold.  (Actually, that has already been happening, people
leaving the country, taking gold with them.)

Ahh, I misunderstood, thought it was a 1933 double eagle.  Toooo bad...
Collectibles = spot + the collector value "vig".  I think gold coins are
measured in troy ounces.