homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Gold

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Gold
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 08:11:48 -0800 (PST)

Metal guides for the blade????  What are metal guides?

The knives I got have the blade and the part of the metal that goes into the
handle is all one piece.  The portion inside the handle is the same length as
the entire handle (not just a little stub where the handle sides will fall
off).  Some of the handles are very smooth plastic molded and curved for
fingers and of adequate size in the palm,  The little one I was using
yesterday is buffalo horn.  Some are more textured.  There's only two knives
that I personally don't like - errors in ordering on the stock number.  The
blade part is good, not too long/big, but the handles suck - at least for my
hand - they are uncomfortable, narrow handles.  However, my dad can make some
handles for them out of some nice hard wood he has if they don't sell off.

Jagged edge, ahh, that is why it is called a survival knife then.  I just
looked at one of them, and yes, it is cut very much in a way that I can see
it sawing thru at least some bones (with sharpened edges cutting in both
directions pull/push) with two different cutting type areas - a narrower
finer edge, and a wider wicked edge.  Although I think I'd personally like
the regular bone saws better.  Haven't cut animal bones like that,but have
assisted on amputations in the OR a number of times.

I didn't get any Croc Dundee knives... LOL.  But that IS a great scene in
that movie.

:-)