homestead - [Homestead] Semantics

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Semantics
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 07:21:16 -0700

*********Then your land would be an 'asset' and a habitat, not an "investment". I am often wrong , but not this time

The word investment is accurately used to denote the acquisition of all things that might improve one's life, from investment in one's health through knowledge, diet and exercise, to education and skills, and, for a homesteader, the land that comprises one's homestead. That homestead land provides ongoing return on the financial and labor investments. By comparison, strictly financial investments are far less important.

This Phoenix house is the best financial investment I ever made. Heartwood is the best life investment I ever made. My brother goes even further; he says buying those 130 acres is the best thing I have ever done. I cannot argue.