homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Gold

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Gold
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:03:48 -0800 (PST)

Bev wrote to Bob:  "I think we are all talking, as James says, at cross
purposes with you.
You talk of maintaining wealth, we talk of maintaining life and lifestyle."

There is one caveat in homesteader's being able to "maintain life and
lifestyle" - and that is real estate tax, and the potential need from time to
time to buy things "in the market".

Real estate taxes will rise, and likely rise faster proportionately than
wages.  It is so important to understand that what the Fed is doing by
expanding the money supply - is a hidden tax - is is the cause of inflation.
As local, state & federal governments pay more money as prices and wages
inflate - they tax more.  Although, we may be entering a new era where
instead of taxing more the Fed just prints more and more money and gives it
to the states to make up the budget deficits if real estate taxes aren't
increased.

While the laws are a tad different from State to State - state's do put tax
liens on property for unpaid real estate tax - and in some states (maybe all
- I'd have to brush up on that) - after X number of years of non-payment -
the property winds up on the auction steps of the courthouse.

This is where the threat of higher inflation than we've ever experienced
before, which may become a hyperinflation, is going to be a real problem for
homesteaders if their fiat currency wealth isn't keeping up with inflation at
a rate to satisfy the tax man.

Your true enemies are the Federal Reserve and out of control government
spending - not someone who wants to saves excess production in whatever form
they choose.

The honest person who produces excessive wealth isn't coming to take your
homestead away - the honest person has already produced more than his
immediate and near term survival needs and has even saved for a rainy day or
two or three.

It is the dishonest persons (this includes dishonest businesses and
individuals) who don't want to produce what they need to survive, who stick
their hand out for more and more government subsidies.  The trickle down
winds up in higher taxes (on wages and real estate).

It is the dishonest persons and businesses who have forced government budgets
far far above the government's ability to tax individuals directly.  It has
gotten to the point where the government is now forced to create money out of
thin air --- devalue the currency, inflate the money supply and in time make
your real estate taxes go thru the roof.

Homesteaders can not operate in a vacuum away from the government tax man -
including all the various hidden forms of taxation.  Obviously the more and
more independent one is from the rest of society, the less impact from the
tax man and inflation.  If the only "cash" one needs to raise is to pay real
estate tax - fantastic.

But that presumes, no fuel, no health insurance, no store bought christmas
shopping, no need to purchase tools or seeds from stores, no newspapers, no
toilet paper, etc.  Only the need to pay the tax man.  Raising that much by
doing something to exchange for fiat currency might be possible if it is just
for real estate tax.... it depends on what rate of inflation is underway and
about to be unleashed.

(If James has reached the point where he can live "money free" except for the
taxman - I congratulate him.)

The only way to stop the threat to all of us is to stop giving the government
money.  If you can stop the cause of inflation - you stop a real threat to
the homestead.

It is odd to watch humans at times of stress.  Preparations for hurricanes
like Andrew can be quite stressful.  You can't imagine the panic level people
go thru in hurricane devastated areas to get food.  I always kept, and still
keep many months to one year's worth of non-perishable food on hand, and
never had to push and shove for anything.  During and after storms, I didn't
have to loot either.  But those who hadn't saved enough to be prepared did
loot.... It actually was scary, and my ex and I took turns manning the
shotgun each and every day and night until the looters moved on (they got as
close as 2 blocks away).  They weren't only stealing "things" but also food
and liquids.  From where I was, it seemed to slow/stop when military tents
were set up with food and water.  But it took me a long time to leave the
immediate area (way too many trees down over roads).  But I did see the
helicopters flying in container after container of
supplies.

Then again, maybe that is something to look up in history - do governments
resort to raising real estate tax during escalating inflationary times.  I
know my property taxes in 30 years NEVER once went lower, and NEVER once was
even held at the same rate as the prior year.

All these bail-outs will have an effect on us..... and IMO homesteaders need
to think about the potential impact on real estate tax in particular and any
supplies they continue to buy off their homestead).

If the taxman cometh and taketh the land for non-payment or under payment of
real estate tax - there's no way to homestead.